Meet the Carl Schurz Park Conservancy
Carl Schurz Park, a public park in the New York City Parks and Recreation system, has benefited from its private nonprofit benefactor, the Carl Schurz Park Conservancy, for over forty years.
The mission of the Carl Schurz Park Conservancy, a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization, is to restore and beautify Carl Schurz Park, complementing the efforts of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. Our goal is to enhance the public's enjoyment and involvement in the Park. The Conservancy organizes volunteers to execute its projects and sponsors community events that are open to all.
Carl Schurz Park Conservancy is responsible for a multitude of things that make our Park a better, greener, healthier, safer, cleaner, happier, more peaceful place. Such as...
- The Conservancy spends thousands of dollars every year pruning and caring for the trees of the Park
- The Conservancy pays the salary of a seasonal gardener and two summer interns
- The Conservancy funds all lawn maintenance for the Park
- The Conservancy organizes volunteers to garden in the Park, present cherished community events and help manage the operations of the organization
Truth Be Told :: Interesting Facts & Historical Details
Before becoming East River Park in the 1870’s, the land which makes up Carl Schurz Park had been the site of farmhouses, country estates, and a ferry terminal. A Dutch farmer named Sybout Claesen was the first recorded owner, acquiring a deed from the Dutch East India Company dating back to 1646. Claesen called it Hoorn’s Hook, in honor of Hoorn, Holland, his place of birth. In 1770, a loyalist named Jacob Walton purchased the property and built a mansion which was seized during the American Revolution. The Continental Army built a fort known as Thompson’s Battery strategically overlooking the waters of Hell Gate. After the war, Archibald Gracie, a shipping merchant from Scotland, bought the property and built his mansion as a country retreat. Read more…